Monday, June 20, 2011

Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 9th Grade?

So, ya'll should know how much I adore Supergirl and how much I enjoyed Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade.  Well, Landry Walker has put up a post about the concept art for a sequel for the book.  It was pitched to DC but they never got a positive response.  I have nothing specific to comment, except that I would love to see a sequel to this, so I thought I'd crosspost the entire thing:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Been sitting on this for a couple of years now. Figured might as well let people see a bit of what we had been thinking for Supergirl's future as she enters the turbulent world of high school.

One of the things I would like to point out about these images is the evolution of Kara's design. When the first series was announced (along with an image never intended for the public) the common complaint was that our Supergirl was boyish. That she was rough looking. That she looked awkward and maybe even a little weird.

Eric could have drawn Supergirl as the epitome of style and grace. But that wouldn't have been our Supergirl. Our Supergirl was a character who needed to grow. She was overly self-aware, insecure and gangly, that's part of being a young teenager (particularly as younger teens see themselves from within) and therefore an important part of the storytelling.

I think with the slight changes to the artwork here we really begin to see Kara's self confidence manifest physically. This would have continued on a curve, all through 12th Grade. By the end (and there was a definitive end planned) 18 year old Kara would have looked like an adult - particularly because you watched her grow up.

I guess what I'm saying is: It's a mistake to expect a character to be perfect right out the gate. Where do you go from perfect? Perfect makes for boring storytelling and boring reading.

Ideally we would have similar development with the emotional status of the character. And I think we do see that evolution just over the course of the 8th Grade mini-series. It was a trend intended to continue.

We would have seen some similar evolution for Belinda and Lena - for at least as long as they were around. And if that sounds vaguely sinister, it probably is. Or maybe it really isn't. Hard to say.

Anyway, that's some Cosmic Adventures 9th Grade stuff for you. Otherwise, Eric and I have been very busy working on new things. We will be making an announcement as to what exactly that might be at this years San Diego Comic Con.
























If you want to see Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures continue, let DC Comics know.

3 comments:

Sea-of-Green said...

I love those sketches. There's a great deal of personality and movement in them, despite being "only" pencil drawings!

Eyz said...

Yeah :)
I saw that too!!
Love this prrrretty art^^

MOCK! said...

I am so enamored of the first series. My daughter is a huge fan too. She convinced me to stock it in my classroom library....

A sequel would be awesome!