Monday, April 04, 2011

Reviews!

Spoilers ahoy for Gotham City Sirens #21, Green Arrow #10, Wonder Woman #609, Teen Titans #93.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Gotham City Sirens #21
Oh Harley.  This story arc has made me love her so much.  She's so often portrayed as 'just' a vapid lovestruck clown, but these last 2 issues have shown her as much more.  She's intelligent and resilient.

The artwork is spot on.  There's one double page with a white background where all the action takes place in panels formed in the shape of a nail (a nail is central to this particular story being told).  It''s really dramatic and unusual - I live seeing artists play around with unusual layouts.

Green Arrow #10
I'm still not caring for this series.  I know I liked issue 9, but this one leaves me cold again.  The one interesting part was Galahad's origins revealed - he is not a knight of Arthurian times, he is a literary scholar with an interest in the Arthur tales, and he decided he was Galahad when his daughter died.  I prefer this version of events.  It helped that this discovery was topped off with him jumping out a tree and knifing (swording?) Etrigan.

Wonder Woman #609
My disappointment with Dr Psycho being Diana's rescuer has now been alleviated.  His role has now become, as Di herself said in the issue, sweet if a little creepy.  This has been by far my most favourite issue in this new storyline.  For a start, there's tons of Dianas.  This issue made it clear that Wonder Woman (and Diana's soul) is central to the DC Universe and that she has always had a place in it.  It made sure she cannot be erased.  No matter what may happen to the timeline, there will always be Diana's soul, surviving, thriving and leading as a warrior.

This issue showed us
a Diana abandoned at birth for being blind, but growing up to become leader of warriors fighting injustice.
a black pirate Diana born on a slave ship who carried on her mother's legacy, leading women and fighting warlords
a black Diana who is the princess of a tribe and refused to be married, so was cast out by her father.  She continued to protect her people and led them against their enemies.

This is the essence of Diana of Themscyria.  It doesn't matter what she wears or where she is.  She is noble, compassionate and a fighter.  This issue had everything in it I wanted.  I feel like I can finally see what Straczynski was trying to do.  I know I've been up and down on this series, but I think, looking back, that when I've been down on it it's cos the issues have been boring.  I don't think this run will be marked as one of the greatest ever, but it certainly has odd moments of brilliance.

Speaking of Wonder Woman, I am much happier with the new costume for the tv pilot.  There's also a picture of Palicki playing Diana in her ambassador (my description) outfit and footage from the pilot.  I'm getting really excited about this now!

Teen Titans #93
The team join Solstice!   Bart makes a bit of a fool out of himself and a demon steals Cassie and her mum.  Scott is on pencils, as usual, and demonstrates that she understands how gravity affects breasts.  Y'see, the demon has breasts, very saggy ones at that, and when she leaps around her breasts move too.  In the right way.  Get Scott on more more books please!  You might have to clone her to do this..

1 comment:

Eyz said...

Let's hope a tiny bit of this, who Diana is, will be present at the core of the new WW tv show...hopefully...