Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Reviews!

Spoilers ahead for Adventure Comics #7, GA/BC #29, Batgirl #7, Action Comics #886.  I know a month ago I said that I'd cancel Action and Adventure Comics,  and I did, but my shop orders books 2 months in advance so anything I do cancel takeas a little while to actually finish.  Having said that, it worked out quite well this month, as you shall see.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Adventure Comics #7
I really really liked this.  The storytelling devices worked really well, Krypto was brilliant ( I never thought I'd like Krypto but how he's been used in the last few years has really impressed me), the use of Connor's two bodies was good and the discovery that Connor now has all Superman's powers was satisfying.  Definitely worth getting.

GA/BC #29
Meh.  Cupid's restoration back to her normal self was boring and far too easily done.  I like mad Cupid but Carrie is dull as anything.  If we're lucky her 'babe' comment indictaes that ther eis still something of the old Cupid in her.  We now have a new villain - Hilt - who has a knife permanently stuck in his head.  Great idea, but to get rid of one villain and immediately create another seems sloppy. 

There's a completely unneccessary shot of Dinah's arse as she prepares to seduce Oliver - i'm happy with them being a sexual couple but there has to be other, non sexist, ways to frame sex scenes.  Well there are - Mike Grell's GA run did it perfectly.

Batgirl #7
I've got Batgirl #6 on order but still haven't decided whether to add this to my pull list or not.  There's some great bits in it but overall it doesn't truly delight me.  That might be because I read it during the world's crappest weekend leading to me being in a bloody awful mood and not reallt receptive to fuin light hearted stuff.  We'll see.

Action Comics #886
Now this surprised me!  This title is so up and down, but #886 was great.  We got to see Krypton's creation myth and learnt more about the Flamebird and Nightwing entities.  Plus there was a reveal about Jax-Ur.  Things have just got interesting.  But I'll still drop it after the next issue.

No comments: